Marketing & Public Relations Director - Biggs Museum of American Art
This newly re-defined position will be primarily responsible for developing, defining and promoting the Biggs Museum’s brand, and marketing its variety of exhibition and educational programs. This position works in collaboration with the Museum’s Executive Director, Director of Development, Curator, Curator of Education and Board of Trustees.
An eye for detail and good design is critical for this position. It is also important that candidates for this position be able to manage time well in a very deadline driven position. The person in this position must also be able to successfully manage and work collaboratively with outside vendors for printing, the website and more. The general work schedule is 9 a.m.-5 p.m. or 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday-Friday. Extra hours may be required in order to meet position requirements related to special event coverage.
35 hours per week.
About the Biggs Museum
The Biggs Museum of American Art is a dynamic regional art museum in Dover, Delaware, founded in 1993 by collector Sewell C. Biggs. Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, the Biggs Museum is nationally recognized for its exceptional collections of American decorative arts of Delaware and the Delaware River valley, and for its collections of American art from 1700 to the present. In its first 25 years, the Biggs has tripled its operating budget, and doubled its exhibition space and programs. It welcomes 30,000 visitors per year and has 500 members. The Marketing and Public Relations Director will play an important role in developing and reaching the institutions strategic goals for the next 25 years.
- Developing and defining the Biggs Museum brand
- Drafting and sending press releases; Managing relationships with media partners
- Managing all print materials in collaboration with contract graphic designer
- Designing and sending regular blast emails through Constant Contact
- Managing content on the website
Managing an impending website re-design project
- Managing regular banner updates on the façade of the building
- Gather content for, and work with graphic designer on, the production of tri-annual newsletters
- Managing media outreach and media sponsorships – with particular attention paid to expanding media coverage regionally
- Developing and managing the museum’s print and marketing budgets
- Booking and designing all ads and media campaigns
- Fully engaging in planning and implementing the Annual Biggs Museum Gala (shared responsibility of staff)
- Working with graphic designer to produce Biggs Museum Gala print materials
- Community outreach – Staying in the loop with Tourism bureaus, Downtown Dover Committees, etc.
- Ordering general Biggs Museum collateral materials as needed
- Designing components of membership program/annual membership drive/signage etc.
- Tracking of results of media campaigns
- Managing internal marketing committee and spearheading regular market research projects
- Working with the staff to generate new and creative social media posts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Tracking and filing media stories (with help from interns)
- Overseeing the management of direct mail marketing pieces – both through a mail house and in collaboration with the front desk staff
- Develop and design special museum signage as needed
- Assist in the set up and breakdown for special events
- Staff special events and programs as needed (occasional nights and weekends)
- All other jobs as assigned
- Microsoft office suite (especially Excel)
- Constant Contact
- Ability to use Donor Software (Donor Perfect) and Point of Sale (Agile Ticketing) to pull reports
- Adobe InDesign and Photoshop skills highly recommended
- Graphic Design experience is a plus
- Media Relations
- Event Planning
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. (boxes, tables and chairs)
The Biggs provides a generous benefit package with health, eye and dental coverage as well as life insurance and disability insurance. This package includes a 35-hour work week, institutionally matched retirement contributions and paid personal time off. Salary in the low $50s and commensurate with experience.
Please email your resume and cover letter addressed to Executive Director, Charles Guerin at email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line. Application reviews will begin January 2, 2019 and will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.