The Role of the Board Chair Online Webinar Series - January 30 - February 20, 2020
$150 DANA Members
In this course, participants will learn about the chair's responsibility in strengthening and improving the leadership work of the board as a whole.
This course is a great primer for new board chairs and an excellent refresher for more seasoned board members! Whether you're a current chair, chair-elect, or head up a committee, this workshop covers leadership skills every board member needs.
- Leadership characteristics of effective board leaders
- Key relationships in and out of the board room
- Your leadership legacy
- Facilitating meetings that matter
- Ways to engage individual board members
At the end, you'll have tips and tools to help you start your term with confidence and enthusiasm!
- A better understanding of the board chair's responsibility in strengthening the work of the board as a whole.
- Strategies that can help you lead more effectively as a board chair.
- Ways to more effectively structure board meetings and engage individual board members at meetings.
Who Should Attend: Board Members, incoming Board Chairs, other committee chairs, and Executive Directors
Part 1: What Kind of a Leader are You?
Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm EST
- The Changing Landscape of Nonprofit Leadership – What’s Important Now
- Characteristics of Great Board Leaders –How do You Measure Up?
- Your North Star – What Will Your Legacy Be?
Part 2: What’s Your Job as Board Chair?
Thursday, February 6, 2020 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm EST
- Common Mistakes and Frustrations
- The Do’s and Don’t’s of Effective Chairmanship
- How to Make the Most of Key Relationships, including the Board Chair – ED partnership
Part 3: Meetings that Matter
Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm EST
- The Bone structure: A Masterful Agenda, Meeting Mechanics, Strategic Information, Ways to Evaluate Meetings
- Shaping Powerful Questions that generate great discussion
Part 4: Presiding vs Facilitating
Thursday, February 20, 2020 - 3:00pm - 4:00pm EST
- How to Develop Facilitative Leadership
- Communication Tips for Effective Listeners
- The People Side of Tthings – managing meeting dynamics and conflict
All sessions will be recorded and the recording will be available to all registered participants. Participants who are unable to attend one or more of the sessions will still have access to all course materials.